Click Below on Each Benefit to Learn More
It’s not easy to think about, but what if you suddenly died? Could your family live without your income? Would your family be able to cover the medical expenses associated with a terminal illness or with burial and funeral expenses?
The City of Dallas offers life insurance for you and your family when tough situations arise. This coverage is administered through The Standard.
Basic Life Insurance
- Full-time employees receive $50,000 of basic life insurance coverage — the City of Dallas pays the full cost of this coverage for you.
- If you are a part-time employee, you may elect to purchase this coverage — the cost is shared by you and the City of Dallas.
Supplemental Life Insurance
In addition to basic life insurance, you may elect supplemental life insurance for yourself:
- Option 1: 1 times your annual earnings, rounded to the next higher multiple of $1,000, if not already of multiple of $1,000. The maximum amount is $500,000.
- Option 2: 2 times your annual earnings, rounded to the next higher multiple of $1,000, if not already of multiple of $1,000. The maximum amount is $500,000.
- Option 3: 3 times your annual earnings, rounded to the next higher multiple of $1,000, if not already of multiple of $1,000. The maximum amount is $500,000.
Note: You must have basic life insurance to elect supplemental life insurance.
￼Voluntary Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance
Voluntary AD&D insurance provides benefits to your beneficiaries in the event of an accidental injury or death.
You may elect voluntary AD&D coverage in increments of $25,000, up to a maximum of $250,000. However, amounts above $150,000 cannot exceed 10 times your annual earnings.
If you elect coverage for yourself, you may also elect coverage for your dependents.
- Spouse/domestic partner only: 60 percent of your voluntary AD&D coverage amount.
- Children only: 20 percent of your voluntary AD&D coverage amount, up to a maximum of $50,000 per child.
- Spouse/domestic partner and children: 50 percent of your voluntary AD&D coverage amount for your spouse/domestic partner and 15 percent of your voluntary AD&D coverage amount for each child. The amount of coverage for your children may not exceed $50,000 per child.
401(k) or 457(b)
Everyone wants to be financially secure in retirement. At the City of Dallas, we’re here to help by offering you the exceptional opportunity to save for retirement through our 401(k) or 457(b) plan. After all, it’s never too early to start saving.
- Convenience. Your contributions are automatically deducted regularly from your paycheck.
- Tax savings now. Your pretax contributions are deducted from your pay before income taxes are taken out. This means that you can actually lower the amount of current income taxes you pay each period. It could mean more money in your take-home pay versus saving money in a taxable account.
- Roth contribution option. You may make after-tax contributions and take any associated earnings tax-free at retirement — as long as the distribution is a qualified one. Please see Frequently Asked Questions About Your Plan for more details.
- Tax-deferred savings opportunities. You pay no taxes on any earnings until you withdraw them from your account, enabling you to keep more of your money working for you now.
- Portability. You can rollover eligible savings from a previous employer into this Plan. You can also take your plan vested account balance with you if you leave the company.
- Investment options. You have the flexibility to select from investment options that range from more conservative to more aggressive, making it easy for you to develop a well-diversified investment portfolio.
- You can contribute up to 99% of your gross annual salary, up to the annual IRS dollar limits.
- You are always 100% vested in your own contributions.
- You decide how you invest your savings by choosing from a large portfolio of investment options.
- You receive account statements and have 24-hour access to your account information.
Enrolling and More Information
If you are ready to enroll or would like more information, log on to Fidelity NetBenefits at www.netbenefits.com/enroll or call the Fidelity Retirement Representatives at 1-800-343-0860.
Employee Assistance Program
You may be struggling with stress at work, seeking financial or legal advice, or coping with the death of a loved one. The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) offers assistance and support for all these concerns and more:
- Relationship difficulties
- Financial and legal advice
- Parenting and family problems
- Child and elder care support
- Dealing with domestic violence
- Substance abuse and recovery
- Eating disorders
The Cigna website www.cignabehavioral.com includes valuable resources for managing your stress, work/life balance and personal wellness.
2 Ways to Access
Call (877) 622-4327
Visit www.cignabehavioral.com and enter dallascityhall as the "Employer ID". This service is available 24/7.